There will not be a grants call for February 1, 2020. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but we had a busy year and allocated all our community grants funds already. Next call will be September 1, 2020.
What is the purpose of the Community Grants?
The purpose of the Community Grants is to support groups and organizations in the central region (health authority boundaries) who are working to promote wellness in their communities and to foster partnerships among community groups.
What amount of funding is available?
- Grants are available for a maximum of $1500.00.
- Funding must be used within one year of receiving grant.
Who is eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for funding from the Community Grants Program, a group must be:
- A community group, not for profit organization, municipality or a school,
- Operating within the central region and
- A Central Wellness Coalition (CWC) networking member (can join for free on the website).
Things to consider:
- Priority will be given to groups that have not received funding from the Community Grants Program in the past 12 months.
- Applicants are encouraged to partner with other community groups or organizations.
- Priority will be given to applicants who do not have access to other funding sources (e.g. Provincial Community Healthy Living Fund).
- Applicants are encouraged to contact their local Community Development Public Health Nurse for consultation when preparing grant applications and/or for help with the implementation of awarded grants. Phone numbers for each area are as follows:
Green Bay & Baie Verte
Exploits/Lewisporte/Coast of Bays
Isles of Notre Dame/Gander Bay
- Acknowledge the contribution of the Central Wellness Coalition as appropriate in their project. (e.g. in media interviews, displays, and publications etc.).
- Support at least one of the following priority wellness areas and Provincial action plans such as The Way Forward in their grant proposal.
- Healthy Eating (e.g. choosing healthy food and beverages, cooking, community gardens, etc.).
- Mental Wellness (e.g. stress management, coping skills, self-esteem building).
- Injury Prevention (e.g. car seat safety, bike helmet safety, prevention of slips & falls).
- Child & Youth Development.
- Physical Activity.
- Tobacco Control.
- Follow CWC Nutrition Guidelines for any foods purchased and/or served.
What are some examples of eligible expenses?
- Community wellness events or activities.
- Materials, supplies (paper, resources, etc).
- Minor equipment directly related to your project.
- Small honoraria approved up to a maximum of $100; guest speaker/professional fees approved up to $300.
- Costs associated with booking or renting a venue.
- Food: must follow the CWC Nutrition Guidelines.
- Travel expenses (please note: some exceptions may apply).
What expenses are ineligible and will not be considered?
- Core operating expenses usually covered by your organization (e.g. power or phone bills).
- Contributions to annual fundraising drives or scholarships or individual gains, including scholarships or bursaries.
- Registration fees for individual membership, program participation, and conferences.
- Salaries and coordinating fees.
When are application deadlines?
Applications are accepted three times per year and can be emailed, faxed or mailed by midnight of the deadline day. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- February 1
- September 1
- November 1
How to apply?
Each applicant must complete the application form and attach supporting documentation (e.g. agenda for event, recipes for cooking program, etc.) if necessary. Please keep applications as accurate and concise as possible. See PDF of the grant application hereor under see the "Forms" tab for a fillable Word format you can download and fill out.
The Central Wellness Coalition Grants Committee will review all applications. All applicants will be informed by email within 4 weeks of the application deadline.
Successful applicants will receive an email outlining the conditions of the grant approval, a project reporting form, CWC nutrition guidelines, and a copy of the CWC logo. Once the CWC receives a reply from you, a cheque will be issued by Central Health for the approved amount (this can take up to 3-4 weeks to process).